Friday, August 21, 2015

Why the experiement

Because:

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.

Sorrow is better than fear. Fear is a journey, a terrible journey, but sorrow is at least an arrival. When the storm threatens, a man is afraid for his house. But when the house is destroyed, there is something to do. About a storm he can do nothing, but he can rebuild a house.

I talked to a friend the other day. She and I talked endlessly about how we are cornered, dumbfounded, secured by those in power. But I asked of her what we are to do to break this imprisonment, and our conversation ended in silence.


I stole two of these quotes, and the poorly-written one is my own. It's telling to me that people I know are aware of vast economic and societal inequalities, and yet, when it comes to talking about solutions - or worse, actions to take, responsibilities to take with us - there is no answer to that. I am not sure where to start.

But to me, this is a place to start. It is a place to start because I can see if other people are seeing what I'm seeing. Limited opportunities. More concentration of wealth. The shrinking independence of whole families, dependency of those in power on those of wealth.

I want to start this blog because I think people are starting to take Bernie Sanders seriously. Here is my take on Bernie Sanders: any well-intentioned politician can make a difference, as a few drops of lemon in water can make it keep better.

But I think people are unrealistic in assuming what he (or any noble-minded politician) can reasonably accomplish. If you're starting from something rather septic, what good will a few drops of anything do?

I believe it is the daily duty of US citizens to do these three things:
1. Become informed. This means to avoid bias in your news as well. Unfortunately, many US news outlets are unabashedly biased - this one left, this one right, this one up shouting all damned night - but perhaps BBC News is somewhere on your TV.
2. Voice your support. Voting, starting blogs, writing to your newspaper. Or representative. Or Senator. Or... President?
3. Show your support. Money where your mouth is. When it comes to it, a handful of ten-dollar words can only give someone your two cents; and it's only a penny for your thoughts, anyway. Time is money, too, more than a penny.

-Mgmt.

No comments:

Post a Comment